Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Did he really just do that?

Today has been a high-maintenance day for Max. I saw the evidence of the bottom tooth #2 coming in, and so he's been kind of cranky, not taking great naps, not wanting to be pottied, etc. So I was lying in bed nursing him, trying to get him to get a nap just a little bit ago, when he popped off and was playing and babbling to himself. Presently he turned toward me with his right hand in a pretty good semblance of the BSL sign for "potty" (I've been using it with him sometimes for a few months now). He hadn't been in a while and so I thought, why not? I reinforced it with him and took him in there. Waiting, waiting...and nothing. He did do it once more while on the potty, quite well, in fact, but alas, it was not to be. I'd run out of diapers so he was nakey-butt at the time, so I went and plopped him down in the middle of my Longhorns quilt my mother made me a few years ago, and went to put some laundry away, or some other household chore. I imagined what a mess it would be should he decide to potty while on that blanket so I came back to check on him after just a minute. He was sitting there, smiling up at me, and as I came around the back of him....Lo and behold, when I looked under his onesie, there it was. A lovely pile of poop...right in the middle of Bevo. (It pretty much matched UT colors, though, so there's that.)

Incidentally, as I am fascinated with the poop now that we've been giving him regular food, I was interested to see tiny little fleshy pieces of mandarin orange from last night's dinner. Way to go, Max!

So I stripped him down and cleaned him up, put him on a puddle pad and went to go dunk his clothes and when I came back, he had peed, too!

So maybe he was using the signs after all! Time will tell...

2 comments: